Sunday, October 21, 2012

Gilt Sample Sale




Yesterday, my sisters and I went to the annual Gilt Group sample sale here in Boston and it was quite the experience. I had gone once before and enjoyed the bargain hunting, so I was glad to have the opportunity to go again. 

The way Gilt organizes the sale is by selling tickets on the Gilt City Boston website for 4 different     shopping times to choose from. They had a special opening event on Friday for people hoping to get first dibs on the discounted merchandise. Unfortunately, I didn't buy my ticket quickly enough, and that event was sold out. But, I was able to get a ticket for the first group on Saturday morning, which is great because they reorganized everything from the night before, so when we went in, everything was all neat and tidy. Nothing is worse than sifting through clothes and shoes that have already been picked through.

So my sisters arrived at the Revere Hotel for the sale around 9:45, with the doors opening at 10am. The line to get in was already around the block, but the line moved very quickly once they opened the doors.

The line stretched around the block
They had a great selection of women and men's shoes, clothing, and accessories. They also had a few home and children's clothing items. It was fairly crowded but I have seen much worse. I did not witness any pushing or grabbing, and the whole thing was very civilized. 



All told, my sisters and I left with 3 pairs of boots (one from Delman!), a Chloe blouse, and a black sweater.  We did not buy too much, but we certainly found a lot to try on! I almost bought a great pair of Chloe sunglasses, but while in line to pay, I realized a small piece of the frame was missing on one side. I was kind of bummed, but I wasn't going to buy something that was already damaged, and can't be fixed. 


My sister's new boots


I love sample sales and I wish they would feature more of them here in Boston. I would definitely attend more if I could. 

Here are my tips for getting the most out of a sample sale:
  • Get there as early as possible. Many sales are not as organized as Gilt and everyone shows up at once and they let in a few people at a time. It's better to get their early and get in as soon as possible in order to get the best selection.
  • Dress for the sale. Some sales do not have dressing rooms to try on clothing and you have to try something right there on the sales floor. My uniform is leggings, a tank top, a loose sweater and a pair of slip-on shoes. If I need to try something on, I can just take off my sweater and shoes, and throw on the item over my tank and leggings. 
  • Don't buy it if you don't really love it. Sample sales are final sales, and so many people buy things on impulse because their so cheap and you can end up with a bunch of things you will never wear. 
  • Check the payment policy. Most sample sales have strict payment rules like credit cards only. Call ahead and find out what you can use to purchase your items.
  • Leave the big purses and coats at home. Most sales do not allow you to bring in your coat and bag and you will be forced to wait in line to check it. If it's not too cold, I like to leave the coat at home and just bring my keys, form of payment, and phone in a small wristlet that I can carry around with me while I shop.
All of us in our slip-on shoes


If anyone knows of all sample sales that happen in Boston, please leave a comment. One sample sale a year is not enough for me!!

HAPPY SHOPPING!


Gilt Group Boston | Sample Sales

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi There! I'm always interested in other ideas and opinions. Please share your thoughts.