Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Rainy Day Style

Well, it's a rainy day in Boston, and if you are in school like me, that means spending a lot of time  outside walking around campus. 

Rainy weather can create a bit of a problem when it comes to picking out an outfit but five years of school (undergrad and grad) in New England has given me plenty of time to perfect my rainy weather style. Yes, that's right, you can still be stylish in the rain!


Footwear

The key is keeping your feet dry. Nothing is worse than walking around all day with wet feet. Rubber boots are the best option and there are plenty of styles and colors to choose from.

My picks:


Hunter Original rain boot $135.00




L.L. Bean rain boots $69.00

Outerwear

 As kids we all wore those rain coats covered in plastic that made noise whenever we moved (you know what i'm talking about!) but luckily, as adults, we can choose are own rain coats. I like the trench coat because it looks super polished but is still very functional as a rain coat. It's also a classic wardrobe piece that can be worn for years because it never goes out of style. Definitely worth the investment.

My picks:


Burberry Brit double breasted trench coat $895.00


DKNY Trench Coat with Belt $284.00





The Rest of the Outfit

The best pants for a rainy day are skinny pants or jeans because they tuck into the rain boots easily and create a smoother line. There is something about trying to get flared jeans into boots that looks so bulky and awkward.

You know that feeling when you are hot and cold all at the same time? I feel like all rainy days are like that. One minute the rain is making things muggy and sticky, the next it's cold and raw. This is wear layering comes in. I like to have a light sweater with another shirt underneath so that I can keep as warm or cool as I need.

The last thing you need to remember are socks. Rain boots are great for keeping your feet dry, but they don't keep your feet warm. I usually go for a pair of wool socks that my Mom knits for me but another option are "welly" socks. Hunter makes them in several colors and fabrics but I am sure you can find similar socks at other stores.


Hunter “Welly” Socks $35.00


OK, you are now dressed and ready to go out and face the rain. Don't forget your umbrella!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi There! I'm always interested in other ideas and opinions. Please share your thoughts.