Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Shop the Sales




My friends often ask me how I am able to shop as much as I do and still manage to pay all my bills. It's easy! I shop the sales.

Some people hate shopping sales because they find it frustrating to wait for items to be marked down and don't enjoy the task of going through large, unorganized racks. I feel the same way, but the deals  make it all worthwhile.

When looking to save money by shopping the sale racks, keep these things in mind:

  1. Shop Often. Stores are constantly getting in new merchandise and they make room for it by marking down items and moving them to the sale section. By stopping by your favorite stores every couple of weeks, you increase your chances of getting a deal.
  2. Ask the salesperson when they mark items down. All stores mark items down on certain days each week after they close the store. Find out what night they do it, and plan on shopping the next morning so you get the best selection.
  3. Sign up for store emails to receive special discounts and sale notices. Stores often give special discounts and information on sales to customers on their email list. I must get more than 20 emails per day from stores with sales and discount information. If you hate all the clutter in your inbox, set up a special account just for store emails.
  4. Many stores will offer special discounts online only and are often selling that same item in the store for full price. Online shopping can be difficult if you are unsure of your size. I fixed this problem by heading into my favorite stores and trying on a dress, shirt, sweater, blazer, and pair of jeans. I record the correct size in my phone so that if I want to buy something online, I have the right size written down.
  5. If you don't love it, don't buy it. It's easy to get caught up in the thrill of a bargain and purchase items that you will never wear. Many sales are final sales, so make sure you will actually wear it before you head to the register.
My Favorite Stores to Shop Sales


Lord & Taylor

Lord and Taylor is not as well known as Bloomingdales or Nordstrom, but they are great for sales, especially clearance sales. They almost always have a clearance rack in each department that offers and additional discount on top of the lowest marked price. I am a huge fan of their own line of high end costume jewelry and they often feature pieces at 50% the retail price.

J. Crew

I love J. Crew and would happily buy out the entire store if I could. They always have a great sale selection and I love how they organize it all by color. I have found some great sweaters on sale, as well as hair accessories. 

Banana Republic

I always have great luck finding pants on sale at Banana. They have a fairly decent sized sale section and I often find that they give an extra 30% the lowest sale price. That is why it pays to get their emails. They always send an email out when the sale is on sale! 

Bloomingdales

My love of bloomies started when I was a kid and my grandmother would let me tag along on her shopping trips. Several times a year they have major clearance sales and you can find enormous clearance racks in every department. I have scored some great items from Theory, Tory Burch, and Gucci while shopping the sales here.

Happy Shopping !!!!!






Tips for Shopping Sales

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi There! I'm always interested in other ideas and opinions. Please share your thoughts.