Wednesday, November 14, 2012

East Coast Obsession: Monograms


I have always loved monograms because I am crazy about the idea of personalizing something. When something is monogrammed, it shows that someone took the time and effort to make it special. 

There are so many monogram styles to choose from, but I prefer to keep things classic and traditional because monogramed items are meant to be saved and, hopefully, passed on to future generations. It's a lot like dated wedding photos. That blue tux was stylish at the time, but 25 years later, not so much. Best to keep things classic.

Here are some popular monogram styles


Some of my favorite monogrammed items are:




Thanks to Carly at College Prep for turning me onto May Books








Although I love monograms, there are some items that I don't like to see monogramed because I feel like it's a bit much.

Some items include:

Plastic or Acrylic Cups

Every single one of your picture frames (one is enough!)

Men's shirts (when the monogram is visible). Do you need it to remember your name?

Plastic monogrammed necklaces. If you want a monogrammed necklace, invest in a gold or silver one. It looks so much nicer. 

Does anyone else feel like certain things shouldn't be monogrammed or am I being harsh?

There are several methods that can be used to monogram something, and the right method depends on the item you want to monogram.

Some methods include engraving, etching, debossing and embroidering.
You can learn more about these methods from the nice people over at Pottery Barn.

If you are unsure about creating a monogram for yourself or someone else (an engraved wedding gift is very thoughtful!) check out Little Miss Monogram Shop for some helpful hints.

I am always on the lookout for great places that monogram, so please post a link to your favorite boutique or online store in the comments section. 


Monograms | Monogram Etiquette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi There! I'm always interested in other ideas and opinions. Please share your thoughts.