Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving Decor at Nonnie Marion's

Well, the Thanksgiving holiday weekend is coming to an end and it is back to work and school. Before I move into Christmas decor mode, I wanted to share some pictures of the Thanksgiving decor at my grandmothers house. She is quite holiday obsessed and insists on decorating all of the rooms in her home that are visible to her many lunch and dinner guests.


This is the overall view of my grandmother's dining room table. The table seats 12, and sadly, that isn't enough room most of the time. She has a second, long table that she sets up on holidays that acts as the "kids" table. Yes, I am still at the kids table. My brother has been married for 10 years and he is still at the kids table. 


Instead of lighting a fire, my grandmother lit a variety of fall-colored candles and added in some large pine cones for a cozy, fall feeling without the smoke and soot.


Fresh flowers in pretty red, orange and yellow. 


Mixed in with the flowers were white pillar candles surrounded by cranberries. The bittersweet that surrounds the vase is a favorite of Nonnie's and she uses it throughout the fall season.


A wreath on the wall of the dining room. I think she has a wreath for each of the four seasons. I will take a picture of the winter one when it goes up in a few weeks.


My aunt is very crafty and has made place cards for my grandmother for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. You can barely see it, but my name is written out in gold ink. I'm jealous of my aunt's amazing penmanship. 


This is the Thanksgiving set-up that sits above my Grandmother's sink in her kitchen. This will soon be changing to her Christmas village scene. This is something she started doing because her grandchildren loved looked at the lights. I remember as a child, my she would pick me up and lean me over the sink so I could get a better look at the display. 


The view from the front door. One of these was hanging from each of the front doors. Very simple and classic, plus I think these can be kept and used again, which is always nice. 



My grandmother's holiday dinner's would not be able to happen if it weren't for her  extra freezer's and large pantry. Because these things are a rarity outside of large Italian families, I decided to share a short video of my grandmother's extensive food supply.

Crazy Right??

Tune in again in December where I will feature a post on Nonnie's Christmas decor. Wait till you see the tree! I don't know how my grandfather gets it into the house each year. 

If I am not at my grandmother's house, I am at Mom & Dad's. Where do you spend the Holidays? Did anyone travel long distances?

Thanksgiving 2012 Decorations

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi There! I'm always interested in other ideas and opinions. Please share your thoughts.