Friday, November 16, 2012

Tea Time in Boston


My love of tea comes from my mother, who has been a lifelong tea drinker. As a small child, I remember asking my mom for tea and asking her to put it in a sippy cup with one ice cube so that I could drink it with out burning my mouth.

Since I don't drink coffee, tea has become my key source of caffeine, but I would drink it even without caffeine. I find tea to be incredibly soothing, and I never drink less than two cups per day.

Another tea bonus is that it goes so well with my a couple of my other favorite things: cookies and pastry. This is where making time to enjoy a formal tea comes in.

I don't often have the time to visit a tea house or restaurant and sit and enjoy a formal tea because I'm so busy with work and school, but I make a point to go about four times a year to my favorite tea spots. 

I usually go with my Mom, sisters or a close friend because we have the opportunity to sit for a while and catch up while we enjoy the tea service. A formal tea never rushed and you have plenty of time to enjoy the tea sandwiches, pastry and, of course, tea.

There are plenty of places in the Boston area that offer lovely formal teas.

Here are a few of my favorite places:

The Bristol Lounge at the Four Seasons



They have a great selection of teas to choose from and they offer two different types of tea, the Four Seasons Tea, and The Royal Tea. I like The Royal Tea because it involves champagne, which I am always in favor of. 

High Tea in the French Room at the Taj Hotel




The French Room is such a pretty room and they have an extensive tea menu and all kinds of tea-appropriate cocktails, sherries and aperitifs. There is something for everyone here, and I was to take a man to tea, this would be the place. 


Afternoon Tea at the Boston Harbor Hotel



The water views from the restaurant inside this hotel are amazing, and that alone is reason enough to check it out. They hotel is very popular for weddings and they do a lot of bridal party teas. The set-ups are lovely and often feature rose petals and champagne. 

Afternoon Tea at the Wenham Tea House




This tea house, located on Boston's north shore, is a favorite of my mother's and one of the oldest tea houses in the country. They offer formal afternoon tea service or a la carte tea, where you can pick and choose the items you like.

Tips for Taking Tea

Make sure to make reservation ahead of time. Most places only make enough pastry and sandwiches to accommodate their reservations and may not accept walk-ins.

Check to see if their is a dress code. Some places are more casual than others and you don't want to feel out of place. If you are unsure if  their is a dress code, the safest bet it to avoid wearing jeans. Pants and a nice top will work almost anywhere. 

Call ahead if you have allergies. Many items on a tea menu could pose problems if you have allergies or dietary restrictions. Most places will be happy to accommodate special requests if you give them 24 hours notice. 

Does anyone have a favorite place where they go for tea? I have never been for Tea at the Ritz on Avery Street. It seems a bit modern over there, which isn't my style. If someone has been, please share. I am interested to know what it was like.
Going to Formal Tea in Boston

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi There! I'm always interested in other ideas and opinions. Please share your thoughts.