Tuesday, November 13, 2012

ECL Required Reading: Magazines


I have been an avid reader of magazines since I was about 11 years old and every month, I scanned the news stands for the newest magazines. I remember going from store to store looking for the latest issue of one title or another and not stopping until I found it.

The reason I love magazines, particularly lifestyle and fashion ones, is because they help inspire my lifestyle. I get up-to-date information on everything from  the latest fashion and lifestyle trends to recipe and tablescape ideas. When something catches my eye or appeals to me, I tear it out and save it so when I want to cook something new, or go clothes shopping, I already have ideas to take with me.

The world changes faster than anyone can keep up with and it's hard to sift through all the information and content. I feel like a great magazine staff does that for you. so when you flip through the pages of a magazine, you are only seeing the really good stuff. 

As I have gotten older,  realized how much smarter, not to mention cheaper, it was to just subscribe to my favorite magazines and have them sent to my house. 

I find the easiest way to subscribe is through the publishing or magazine website. I do this for many reasons.

It is safe, secure and legit

They often have deals where if you subscribe to one title, you can get another similar magazine for very  little money

You have an account so you can easily pay a bill, cancel a subscription, or send one to a friend as a gift.

The major magazine publishers for U.S. magazines are:





I know that some people prefer to read magazines digitally these days, but I still prefer to hold it in my hands, the old fashioned way. Another reason I like to have a physical copy is because I like to save the really good issues to look back at later. I don't find it as inspiring to look back at the digital issue. That being said, there are a couple of lifestyle magazines out there that are only available digitally and I happily read them online because I don't want to miss out on the great content. 

Check them out if you like:



OK, now onto the physical magazines! Here is a list of the magazines that I subscribe to and have delivered to my house every month. 






W










Boston Magazine and Boston Common are regional lifestyle magazines that I read because I live in Boston. For East Coasters not in Boston, there are plenty of great regional magazines to check out.

New York - Gotham or Hamptons Magazine

Washington D.C. - Capitol File

Greenwich - Greenwich Magazine


Charleston - Charleston Magazine

General Southern Region - Garden & Gun

If you are wondering about Martha Stewart Weddings, no I am not getting married, but don't start judging yet. I have gotten some of my best tablescape and party theme ideas from Martha Stewart Weddings. If you minus out the wedding dresses, the magazine is a great resource for menu planning, new color combs, themes, and party invitations. If you like to throw parties, engaged or not, I highly recommend subscribing to Martha Stewart Weddings. 

I am always on the look out for more great magazines to add to my monthly reading list. If you have a magazine title worth sharing, please comment below!
Top Fashion and Lifestyle Magazines

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi There! I'm always interested in other ideas and opinions. Please share your thoughts.